Monday, December 15, 2008

Study Abroad Singapore: Important Questions to Ask

Selecting a School or a Course - Questions to ask your Education Agent or your School
About the School
Education Excellence

Has the school obtained the CaseTrust for Education?
Has the school obtained the SQC for PEO?
Student Protection Scheme (for PEOs)
What student protection scheme does the PEO have? (Ask for proof)
What does the scheme cover?
Are there any charges involved, and how much is it?
School Facilities/Student Mix
Where is the school located?
What study/resource/recreational facilities does it have?
What is the number of classrooms?
What teaching aids does it use?
What is the teacher-student ratio?
What qualifications do the teachers have?
How many full-time and part-time teachers are there?
What is the student population?
Where do the students come from?
About the Course
Entry Requirements of the Course

What are the entry requirements for the course? Am I eligible for the course?
Do I have to take any pre-placement courses?
Is there a standard student contract with the school that I should sign?
When do I have to arrive in Singapore?
Information about the Course
Is the course registered with MOE or other relevant authorities? If it is registered with other authorities, which ones?
Who will be conferring the qualifications?
What is the course commencement date?
When does the course end?
Will there be any term breaks? When?
Am I allowed to switch courses if I find the current course that I am attending not all that suited to my interests and my needs?
Internship
Does the course require me to do a period of industrial attachment/internship? For how long?
Who will arrange for the placements?
Where will the placements be (in Singapore or elsewhere)?
Will I be paid for the industrial attachment?
Do I have to pay, and if so, how much?
What if the school is unable to place me? Will I be able to graduate?
Course Fees
What is the payment schedule like?
How much is the total tuition fees?
Is the tuition fee inclusive of examination fees? If not, how much is the examination fee? When is it due?
Besides tuition fees, what other fees are payable?
Who do I pay the tuition fees to?
What are the payment methods available?
Do I get a receipt for any payments that I make?
How will I be notified that tuition fees are due?
Is there a charge for late payment of fees?
Security Deposit
Do I have to pay a security deposit?
When do I have to pay the security deposit?
Who do I pay the security deposit to?
How much do I have to pay?
When will the deposit be returned to me?
Will the deposit be returned to me in full?
How will I get my deposit back?
Refund Policies
What is the school's refund/transfer policy in the event:
The course fails to commence as scheduled?
The course is cancelled?
I transfer to another course?
I decide not to pursue the course?
I withdraw from the course mid-way?
How much will I be able to recover?
How will I get my refund?
For Short Courses (courses completed within 30 days)
Do I have to apply for a Student Pass?
What should I do if the validity of my Social Visit Pass granted at the Singapore checkpoint is not sufficient to cover the whole duration of the course?
If I wish to apply for a course that is longer than the Social Visit Pass issued to me, may I ask for a Social Visit Pass with a longer duration?
If my Social Visit Pass granted at the Singapore checkpoint is expiring, can I extend my stay to complete my course?
Upon completion of a short course in Singapore, can I extend my stay to take up another course?
About the Student Contract
Check that the following are in order:

You have a copy of the standard contract
The contract reflects the name of the school and address and not the education agent or the holding company (check that it is consistent with that which you had applied to)
The name of the course you registered for is reflected in the contract
The commencement date of the course is reflected
The refund/transfer policies as explained to you are clearly reflected in the contract
Your particulars are correctly reflected in the contract
You have a copy of all receipts
The amounts stated tallies with that paid for
The amounts paid for are fully itemized
The date of payment is reflected correctly
The name and address of the school is reflected in the receipt
About the Student's Pass
Student's Pass Application

Who will make the arrangements for my Student's Pass application?
What documents do I need?
How long will the approval for the Student's Pass take?
What should I do if my Student's Pass application is rejected?
How long is my Student's Pass valid for?
If I transfer to another school, what happens to my Student's Pass?
Do I have to pay for the Student's Pass? How much?
Will I be allowed to work in Singapore?
Do I need to submit my application in person to the Singapore Embassy in Beijing? (For China Students only)
Who can certify true copy of supporting documents?
What should I do if I do not hear from ICA after 3 days/ 2 weeks / 4 weeks?
How do I collect my Student's Pass?
What are the types of courses that I can attend without applying for a Student's Pass?

Sponsor/Guardian
Do I need a sponsor/guardian?
Who will help me secure one?
How much do I have to pay?
What is the role of the sponsor/guardian?
How do I secure a local sponsor?
Renewal of Student's Pass
How soon should I apply for the renewal of my Student's Pass?
How long will the process take?
How will I be notified of the outcome of my renewal application?
Is there a fee for renewal?
Who can help me to apply for the renewal of my Student's Pass?
Work Privileges
Am I allowed to work?
What are my work limitations?
Do I need to apply for permission to work? Who do I apply to?
Am I allowed to work during my school vacations?

1 comment:

  1. Cool Information,

    For further information about study abroad, please visit: http://informationstudyabroad.blogspot.com/

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis